Saturday 10 January 2015

Survived the first week! WOO!

Okay, sorry for there being no updates at all, but the internet here decided it hated me just as I finished writing the original post, and it died, taking my lovely little update with it. So instead of starting it again straight away like I probably should have, I had a little tantrum and procrastinated for a couple of hours instead – which included a walk to the local pub for a cup of tea (how very grown up of me). But never fear! For now I have over an hour until dinner so I am re-writing it and hopefully this time with success!

So, I have officially been in England for a week now, and it has been such an amazing week!

I'm starting to feel settled into my new job and home, both of which are lovely. And I can also find my way around the majority of the school without getting lost- result!
Pretty much my job is making sure the kids are out of bed by 7.15am (not one of the highlights) and sending them to breakfast which I then attend myself. Then its either babysitting the pupils that get to school early – and by babysitting I mean sitting in the same room as them while they play and I read.- then I wander around the classes locating the children that weren't marked off on the roll. After that I spend the day either helping out in various classes- mainly sport (I had to play netball with year 6's. Thankfully they were all a foot shorter then me so it wasn't as horrific as it could have been) or I spend it in my room doing stuff. In the afternoons there's a bit more babysitting, and then the thrilling task of trying to get 20 hyper girls into their beds, and get them to stop talking. This would all be a bit easier if I knew their names so I could threaten them with the possibility of an earlier bedtime for the following night. But once they're all in bed, I go to bed too because jet lag has not been my friend recently, but thankfully that's pretty much gone now.
It may not seem like a lot, but spending a couple of hours a day outside on the netball courts in the English winter tires you out. It also makes you realise how tough these kids are, like they never complain about the cold. If it was like this in New Zealand, they'd move the lesson inside just to prevent the risk of goosebumps..

The other thing that I am surprisingly loving is the food. I was warned about tasteless, horrible boarding school food on multiple occasions, but so far the food has been so good! And if there is something I'm not overly fussed on, there is always another option. Also there is dessert with both lunch and dinner, and I don't have to cook anything myself!

The school which I live/work. Safe to say its by far the prettiest school I've ever attended.
So, so far so good. I've even got a bank account sorted, and am having a driving lesson on monday – watch out England.- I will try and update you all fairly frequently, but with this internet, and my amazing talent of procrastinating for what can be days, there are no guarantees that they will be regular, or have any form of grammar present in them. Sorry (not sorry)
The view from my bedroom window. Sorry for the crappy photo, but I am not a photographer, although I personally blame my phone for the bad shot...



My new room for the year. It's pretty cool because there's a kitchen just for us two Gaps, so I only have to walk 2 metres for food!

No comments: