Monday 19 January 2015

Snow and driving - not at the same time thank God

So, another week survived. I am probably speaking too soon, but I love my job so much! I never thought I would enjoy working as much as I do, but I genuinely love nearly every aspect of my job! When I say nearly everything, I mean the 7.10 wake up twice a week to get the girls out of bed and to breakfast on time isn't really my cup of tea, but I guess it's all part of the experience. And I'm being cheesy, but on those days I get to watch the sunrise, which makes up for it I guess.
Now if you're thinking that this job is sounding really easy, think again. For those who have children, yo'll know how hard it can be to get them organised. Now imagine trying to get over 20 girls all under the age of 13 out of bed, and anywhere on time. And then again, but even harder, is trying to get them all into bed by their bedtimes, and getting them to NOT TALK after lights out. It's a literal daily struggle.
To make you feel even sorrier for me, although I do have the odd hour or so of free time during the day, on Thursdays I start work at 7.15am, and don't finish until 10.30pm. All of this on a small pay – which I have not yet received because its monthly.

Today I went driving with one of the people who work at the school, pretty much them making sure I'm a safe and responsible driver – which apparently I am, who knew? All I can say is that the roads here are terrifyingly narrow, and there always seems to be a massive truck coming towards me on every single corner. But all of the driving around the local towns today was for a point, as the school has a car that you can book out, and now that I've been on the test thing, I am able to book the car when I wish and go on a drive to where ever I want- within reason- as I think it'll be a while before I go on a full on roadie. The car isn't too hard to drive, but its verging on people-mover size, so I have made a mental note to always park in large parking lots, simply because there is more room for me to correct my inevitable failure of a park. Although judging by the size of the roads, a large parking lot may be a long shot and I may just have to park away from busy roads and (heaven forbid) actually walk places.

Other then a trip to Bristol Zoo tomorrow, there is nothing really new. I'm able to find my way around the school without getting lost! And it's becoming less surprising when the kids call me Miss Doole, and most of them actually pronounce it right! I even look like I work at the school, I have jumpers and coats and track pants with the school name on them, and all of them are lovely and warm which is needed because I don't think it's been over 5degrees in a week. On Tuesday it was particularly freezing because it SNOWED and I was massively over excited. Nearly all of the staff found it hilarious at how excited I was over a couple of centimetres of snow, and it properly settled for an hour or so, but then it melted within a couple of minutes of the sun being out..
I've signed up for Netflix, and have since wondered if it was a good idea that I have seemingly endless movies and TV shows at my disposal. But when you're spending all day around children, coming back to my room and watching a couple of movies keeps my sanity intact, so I think it was a good choice.
The snow on the school grounds.  It doesn't look like much but it got thicker, and my phone couldn't get a good photo of it...
I'm still no where near understanding the currency here. Instead of getting the correct change from my wallet, I just hand over the notes and get even more coins in return. I cant get over how many freaking coins there are here! It's all so confusing and makes paying for things really difficult. Hopefully sometime soon I'll magically understand them all, but I honestly don't see that happening...



The back of the school. You can see my bedroom window, but I can't be bothered explaining what one it is. Sorry :)
I think that's all for this week!

No comments: