Monday 16 March 2015

I'm a Queen!

It seems that every week I say that it has been the best week yet. This week was no exception!
I mean you know its going to be a good week when you get to dress up as a medieval Queen of England and then walk around an abbey in ruins. Let me explain.


On Tuesday I went on a Year 7 trip to Wells Cathedral and Glastonbury Abbey. Lets just say that I was massively excited about the trip because I hadn't yet been to either place, and my inner art history geek would be let loose while walking around. Wells cathedral was incredible, the architecture and sheer size of it was breathtaking. Unfortunately we weren't allowed to take photos of the interior, but just believe me when I say its amazing. We walked around the inside for a good hour while the guide (perks of being part of a school group) told us all these interesting facts about the history of the cathedral, most of which I have forgotten.. Apparently one of the stained glass windows in the cathedral is massively famous, so he told me to tell everyone I know that I have seen the Jesse window (I expect you to be impressed) We also got to go up to the library where most of the books were written before NZ was found by europeans, and the ancient books were attached to the shelves by chains (just like in Harry Potter). I think my favourite part of the Cathedral was the Chapter house, there's no way me explaining it will do it justice so you'll just have to google it, but trust me when I say its breathtaking.
Wells Cathedral. Pretty impressive right!
After Wells Cathedral we went to Glastonbury Abbey, which sadly wasn't as well preserved as Wells Cathedral, but still amazing. This is where I got to dress up as Queen Elizabeth the First, as part of an informative drama sketch the guides do with school groups to help the kids to understand the changes in the church thanks to various Kings and religious figures. While I was rocking the Queens costume, the kids were peasants, with a couple of the boys as monks. It was all good fun until we had to walk through the park and pass multiple high school groups who were there too. While the kids could all pass as cute in their bonnets because they were 12years old, I wasn't quite so lucky being 18 and wearing a skirt that I suspect were curtains once...






Wednesday was another netball trip, but this time to the fanciest school I have ever seen (it'd give Chilton a run for its money) seriously, for a prep school it was insane, they had a full on Gymnastics centre, a swimming pool, multiple football fields, a lake, and the nicest school dining hall I have ever seen (there was a mini travelator that took the used dishes into the kitchen so you didn't have to take them yourself!)
That night was another whole house night, this time it was Just Dance which unfortunately I got roped into (and then went on to crush the hammer time dance moves if I might add!)



The rest of the school week was pretty normal really. I got two parcels from home, which obviously helped to make this week so amazing! Friday was my first ever Red Nose Day, and I was amazed by just how much everyone got into it! Most of the kids painted their faces funny for money, and there was a bake sale and nearly everyone was wearing their red noses. That night I got to watch the big Red Nose Day TV special and it was incredible, there was Mr Bean, the Vicar of Dibley (guest staring Emma Watson, Jennifer Saunders and Nessa from Gavin and Stacey), a James Bond sketch, Orlando Bloom and heaps of guest appearances. Seriously such an amazing day, and all for charity!


On Saturday I packed my bag and got the train to Weymouth to see my amazing family! It was so good to see them after three years! On Saturday afternoon after i arrived we drove out to Portland Bill and spent an hour or so climbing over rocks, followed by chips and a cup of tea in the cafe after to warm up!







Poor Monty had to have a bit of help getting back up. Needless to say it was easier getting down the hill

The Olympic Rings on a hill which I cannot remember the name of...
Sunday morning was spent cheering on Charlie and Rob as they ran a half marathon in the freezing cold while Sue and I supported in our coats and gloves holding hot chocolates.. They both finished the race in amazing times and were quite tired come the afternoon (rightly so!).



I realised that I hadn't seen the ocean since Christmas. Didn't realise just how much I've missed it!


Just your casual sand sculpture, complete with Jesus and its own wooden shelter..


Post race photo with their medals


That afternoon Rob and I took Monty  for a walk to see  Uncle Davids bench. The view from the bench is so beautiful, even on a cold grey day. We fed the ducks, and tried to keep the bread away from Monty! On Sunday Night I had what was possibly the nicest roast dinner I've had this year!
Monty waiting ever so patiently for his walk



Me and Monty and Uncle Davids bench


The view from Uncle Davids bench is pretty fantastic


And now we're back to Monday. All I have done today is sat in a car while Rob ever so kindly drove me back to school, unpacked my bag, and written this! I don't intend to do a lot more then that because its cold outside and my room is warm so there's no point in moving, other than to get food.




I'll be impressed if anyone has made it to the end of this post – its a bloody long one!




Until next week then x



No comments: