Monday 13 April 2015

Dog walks, farm visits and punting

So after I left you last week, the whole family went out for an amazing meal at a pizza ansd pie resturant. The view at dinner was so pretty, and it was so nice for everyone to be together for a nice meal out. There isn't much else to say about monday other than that we all ate too much, and then came home and ate even more when we saw the easter eggs... I spent the rest of the night in a food coma on the couch, but I don't regret a thing!

The view with dinner. Pretty pretty right?!

On tuesday the weather was amazing, so Rob and I took Monty into town and met up with Sue (who was at work, and not too pleased about being stuck inside on such a nice day). We all went to the beach and had a sandwich sitting in the sunshine. While it was a lovely day, I wouldn't say it was hot, however some people seemed to think it was tropical and dressed accordingly. No one should have to see that much paleness on a single day..
Because of the lovely weather I spent the rest of the day out in the back garden soaking in the sunshine (and desperately trying to get a tan – no luck)
Yes, that's a cannon ball lodged in the side of a building that was fired in the civil war in 1645.. Lil' bit o'history for you there


Wednesday rolled around, and guess what we did... Took Monty for a walk! Bet you didn't see that one coming!
We dropped Lucy off at her work, and then took Monty for a walk along the beach (we tried to take him onto the wharf but he shook so much it wasn't worth it. Though it was quite hilarious!)
We stopped off for a piece of cake at a cafe on the hilltop, and ohmygod it was amazing cake! (I can't remember what it was called, but it had apple in it and it was divine)
Monty managed to get about 2 meters along the wharf before the shaking got so bad it wasn't  worth it anymore..

Pretty good lunch spot amiright?
 Now Monty has some issues getting into the back of cars because he can't jump very well, so he has to use a ramp. A ramp which he hates to use, which makes it very interesting, and quite amusing when he has to use it. That afternoon we had to pretty much push him up the ramp, and even doing that it took me and Rob a good 2 minutes to get him in the boot. It was such an effort that when he finally got in two people who had been standing next to their car behind us applauded when he finally got in. It was quite embarrassing..
That night Rob had a flashback to his childhood when we watched Calamity Jane. We watched it because one of the songs was in Lucy's show, so we thought we'd take a trip back to 1953 and their amazing green-screen effects. It was quite amusing.

By thursday morning the lovely weather had disappeared and it was replaced by a thick fog. Despite this we took Monty for a walk over some hills near the coast, and then down to a beach. We had cheesy chips for lunch at a cute little cafe near the beach, then walked through a field which had recently been home to a large number of cows (you had to be very careful where you walked)


Apparently you should be able to see Weymouth, but clearly (or not so much ;D ) the fog was in the way
I just thought this was the cutest little gate so ovbs it had to be included.
Again, you should be able to see Weymouth
Once we finished our walk we went to Aunty Irenes for a cup of tea in the (partly returned) sunshine. When we left monty had more issues with the ramp. He doesn't seem to be getting the hang of it.

Friday morning I was dropped off in Dorchester while Lucy had an appointment. I wandered in and out of the shops and got very excited because all the clothes shops were filled with summer clothes, and it was sunny and warm outside and it was just perfect.
This was the only photo I took in Dorchester. I think I may have been a little  bit hungry..
That afternoon I had a two and a half hour train ride back to london. I don't usually mind train journeys but when its amazing weather and you're stuck on a train, it really sucks.
I spent Friday afternoon doing nothing interesting, because I was suprisingly tired from the train (I did have to drag my suitcase across london. I hate London public transport when you have a suitcase. But on the positive side it is a good workout because there are never any lifts!)

On Saturday I headed out reasonably early to Lewisham. I spent a good 30 minutes in the post shop trying to find the right size envalope, waiting in queues, filling in boxes that don' leave enough room, and finally posting a parcel home. After that effort I decided I deserved some shopping time, so after I attacked the shops at Lewshiam, I got the DLR to Bank, and then the tube out to shepherds bush where I spent the afternoon in a state of pure happiness. When I had finally finished there I headed back to Nunhead and, wait for it.. I went for a run! It was such a nice afternoon and I had just bought some new runnung gear, so off I went for a jog around the cemetry (again nicer than it sounds). I might have gotten a bit lost in the cemetery, and when I finally found an exit I my have turned left when I was meant to go right, but I eventually found my way back to Sarah and Martins where I spent the rest of the evening relaxing on the couch, eating dinner, and watching Wallace and Gromit.

Sunday morning I woke up early (for me on holiday) and skyped Mum and Dad, Nana and Grandad and Nanny and Grandad. It was so nice to see my grandparents because I hadn't seen them since I left NZ in December. We all had a good old chat and Dad taunted my with apple and fejoa pie. After I finished talking to them, I had breakfast (pancakes with nutella. Heaven.) and then we all got in the car and headed to Surrey Docks farms. Charlie went off to do some outdoorsey farmey things, and Sarah, Martin and I got the ferry across the river to Canary wharf, and spent the next hour and a half wandering around there in the sunshine.
I spent the afternoon playing sous chef because Charlie cooked us an amazing sunday roast. I was massively impressed because I wouldn't have a clue how to cook a roast and she was whizzing around the kitchen in full chef mode. She even made a berry tart for dessert (pastry and all!) so I was well impressed.
We pretty much chilled for the rest of the day, Charlie got a new toy and if I played the guitar I would be very jealous.




Keira the shetland pony apparently has some anger issues. I thought I'd play it safe and stay on the opposite side of the fence..

This is my kind of animal. Unable to charge at you and no risk of stepping in something nasty. Perfect. (Can you tell I grew up in a city?) 




Charlie's roast. The dessert didn't last long enough for me to take a photo of it...

Charlie and her new toy. I think it's safe to say she was thrilled.
And we're back to monday! All I have done today is made my way to Liverpool Street station, and caught a train to Cambridge to stay with some family friends.
Once I arrived we went into the centre of Cambridge and wondered around. We got a boat and punted up and down the river – I had a go at driving(?) it and I was pretty alright! I didn't crash it, and I didn't fall in (though there were a couple of scarily close moments).
After we had returned the boat we wondered through the city, went into some shops (I didn't buy anything! Shock, I know!) and then we went back to their house and had a full on taco feast!



Photographic evidence. See, I'm vertical, dry and in what seems to be complete control #pro. I must say it's a hell of a workout!

And that's all to report! So until next week then..




No comments: