Monday 6 April 2015

From City to Sea

So another week has gone, and yet again it was an amazing week!
So tuesday I conquered London public transport again, only this time it was the bus, and not the underground. I managed to find my way to the bus stop (might I say that it was a 10 minute walk and I didn't get lost!) and then onto the right bus and toward Greenwich.
I hadn't been to Greenwich since I was in the UK three years ago, and back then my 15year old self did not appreciate any form of architecture or art (how things have changed). Needless to say this time I was a lot more interested, and spent a good couple of hours wandering around the area. I spent over half an hour in the painted hall, and I might have had a little fangirl because that's where a scene from Thor 2 was filmed though sadly Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston weren't there...






It's quite clever how they put mirrors on tables so you don't have to look up all the time




After I was finished oogling at the architecture, I decided to walk up the hill to the observatory. Let's just say I regretted that decision soon after I started walking up it (it's a hell of a lot steeper than it looks!) But when I finally made it to the top the view was well worth the effort so I sat there for a bit and took it all in (while getting my breath back).


After I had walked back down the hill at a pace that was a lot faster than my pace going up it, I slowly made my way back to the train station and got the DLR to Lewisham for lunch and a bit of shopping (just for a change).
That evening I was treated to 90 minutes of my favourite game. Charlie managed to make watching the football quite amusing by offering a running commentary and supporting the Italian team instead of the English.

Wednesday morning was spent wandering around town with Charlie getting groceries. I do love how here people still go to butchers and bakers and greengrocers separately instead of only going to the supermarket.
The afternoon was much less interesting, as I spent it heaving my suitcase across London once again, and then sitting on a train for nearly three hours as it took me to Weymouth.
When I finally arrived at the Scott's I spent what remained of the afternoon on the couch watching TV, and then Rob and I went to watch the first 20 minutes of the dress rehearsal of Lucy's show (which we were going to see later in the week). I spent the remainder of the evening watching tv, and on Skype to a friend back home (so an hour of catching up on all the goss that I've missed)

Despite the weather on thursday being cloudy, cold and on the brink of raining, we took Monty for a walk along the beach and then through town while we popped into shops (to get out of the rain).

Monty waiting ever so patiently at the door. Again.

Once we got back and dried off, we all played on the Wii. Now in my defence I hadn't played anything other than Just Dance for three years, so it was no surprise when I came last in the skiing competition, and also in the first round of Mario kart. But after the practice round, I managed to improve enough to come 5th as I could now actually get around the course without falling off the road and into the water.. (can I just assure you that I am actually a pretty good driver in real life, and that Mario kart is very different to driving a real car..)
That evening I was thoroughly entertained, as I was lucky enough to watch the leaders debate. Please read that last sentence with massive amounts of sarcasm. I know nothing about politics, and although this may surprise you, it is not something I have a great deal of interest in. So watching 7 politicians bicker over things for 2 hours was not a hoot and a half..

Friday morning I was a good daughter and woke up early (considering I'm on holiday) to Skype the parents. After the usual catch ups – a trip to Aussie, a new car and drinking wine in perfect summer weather, I realised that they have adapted to life without children very well. So well infact that when they go away for the long weekend they leave plenty of food for the cats, but nothing for Chloe who was looking after the cats. They only realised that they had taken all the milk and eggs to Turangi with them when I told them (after getting some very angry snapchats from a hungry sister.)
That afternoon we went for a walk to Durdle Door, which is basically a hole in a rock (not to sound unenthused – it was a very nice hole in a rock). After hiking up a hill, down the other side, down some stairs to the beach and all the way back, we stopped off for some tea and scones to renew our energy.



Luckily the cloud cleared just after we got to the top, otherwise I would not have been happy!





Once we made it back to the Scotts house, we pretty much sat on the couch watching TV until it was time to drive to the Pavilion and watch Lucy's compilation show. The show itself was amazing, I wasn't bored for a second and was so impressed that the oldest performer would have been 17 or 18. I was also a very proud cousin because Lucy was outstanding, she stole the show every time she was on the stage, and you could tell she was born to be a performer.

The weekend rolled around and it was spent like the rest of my time in Weymouth. We played on the Wii (I have discovered I am quite outstanding at bowling, missing only 1 pin the whole game. However I am completely rubbish at golf...)
Just incase you didn't believe me! The two triangles are the strikes (I was the green one)
On Saturday night we went to see Lucy's show (again) and I was even more amazed and impressed than the day before (It also made me desperate to see Billy Elliot on the stage. I'll ge there one day.) It was the closing night for the show, and Lucy's last ever performance with WOW, so there were quite a few tears when they took their final bow.

Sunday was an amazing day. I slept in, sat outside in the sunshine (!!!), had a delicious roast lamb for lunch (New Zealand lamb, obviously) and then ate way too much chocolate..
Family photo at lunch. I seriously need to see some sunshine.

That afternoon we walked down to the park and played some rounders with some friends of the Scott's. While it was a friendly game, we all took it a bit too seriously, and there may have been some injury. However I think I have found my calling! If I do say so myself, I was rather gifted when it came to rounders, and when the teams were rearranged for the second round (due to injury making the original teams uneven) I was chosen first!
When we finally called it a day with the rounders, we wandered back through the park, and of course George, Lucy and I played on the playground (even though we are 17, 18 and 20. There's no age limit for a reason!)

And so we come back to Monday, and what a day it has been! I woke up to blazing sunshine, and it hasn't gone away all day. I spent the morning sitting outside in the sun, then we went down to the seafront to have fish and chips, and then a walk along the beach, and now I am sitting out in the back garden getting rather hot because I didn't pack any shorts... Weather like this is making me so excited for summer (it's been a stupidly long winter.) and I'm thinking that soon I'll have to go shopping for some summer clothes!

I just loved the bunting and cobbled street, so being the tourist I am, I had to take a photo.. 
Lunch was a healthy one obviously..






I can't be bothered writing anything else because the weather is making me want to sleep, so that'll be all! 
Just to finish you off, here's a swan for ya. Just because I can.


No comments: