Tuesday 23 June 2015

Chocolate heaven and technological hell...

Firstly can I start by saying that i'm sorry this post is up late, and it isn't my fault. The wifi decided to stop working when I got back (you'll find out where from later on... get excited) and I literally spent an hour and a half trying to connect to the wifi. It got to the point where I nearly threw my laptop across the room so I decided to give up on my laptop and I went downstairs to the staffroom where there are some computers (from before I was born I swear) and it took me 20minutes to log on to my school email. So it's safe to say technology wasn't on my side last night, and most of this morning.....
And secondly can I apologise for the substantial lack of photos! I just didn't take any this week so I'm very sorry about how wordy this post is.. soz..

So anyway, back to what happened this week!!

On tuesday I did a terrifying thing. Forget the massive roller-coasters and trips across London during rush hour, this was worse. I tried to decide what I should study next year (can you hear the distant screams? That's me thinking about the future)
I thought it'd be a good idea because the amount of times I get asked what i'll be doing when I leave England, and all I have to say is “uuuuuhhhh, I'm not too sure yet... but that's ages away hahahaha”. And I have come to the realisation that it isn't actually that far away and i'll need to start enrolling for courses soon which is a terrifying thought! After a good couple of hours I did make some progress in my decisions, but I still haven't made any concrete decisions (basically because I can't figure out what I'm meant to do..) so this isn't over yet!
After the stress that looking at my future induced it was a good thing that my workmates made me feel like a kid/an idiot that night. As usual we played football on the front field, but they (being two guys in their mid 20's) thought it would be funny to wear full on football kit. Not because I didn't own any, and they didn't want me to be left out – how considerate of them...- they lent me some knee high socks and a football top. That along with my shorts and trainers made me look pretty professional! Unfortunately it didn't do anything to my football skills and I was still as rubbish as always, to the point where I fell over trying to get the ball, but it made me feel better when the other member of staff tripped over the ball (amateur).

Wednesday was quite normal. I had forest school and spent the whole time making fairy chairs and chatting to the other members of staff there about New Zealand and our language differences (accidentally called cling film 'glad wrap' and they were like whhaaaaaat? Tell us everything else that you call funny names, so I recited the now too memorable list of gumboots, jandals, lollies, togs etc....)
That night I sat on the girls landing platting the girls' hair and just chatting to them (they told me that I'm like their older sister in a way and I thought that was just too cute!)

Thursday was, just for a change, quite normal.. however I came to the realisation that 5 yearolds have an attention span of about two mintues.. I have the reception class once a week for cricket, and that half an hour is so exhausting that I'm almost glad that's it for the week! This thursday I spent the whole time taking one kid at a time to the loo, because as soon as I came back with one kid, another one decided they needed to go, and so it went on and on and on for half an hour..
That night, the girls decided they didn'tactually want to go to sleep, so they kept talking. And because the girls landing was completley full (only one bed was empty) there were a lot of girls to tell to shut up...

By Friday I was really tired because of thursday night's efforts, but thankfully the day was quite a quiet one..
Nothing really happened during the day, and in the eveining all I did was sit in the pool (not literally in the pool, but in the pool building. Oh and i'm now really good at putting on swimming caps, just thought i'd let you know) but I might as well have got in the pool because the member of staff I was supervising with (you need two staff members in the pool) thought it'd be really fun to keep splashing me...
That night I found everything hilarious because I was really tired. I spent most of the night chatting to the girls, all about different things depending on what year group they were. Year 5&6's wanted to know all about earthquakes, the year 7's were talking about different countires and where we all wanted to go (even though in the conversation we had quite a few nationalities covered - english, spanish, french, russian, japanese and of course the one kiwi)
And it will probably come as no surprise to some of you that the year 8's conversation was all about boys and celebrity crushes. It really did make me feel like I was 13 again...

Even though the weekend was meant to be my weekend off, I spent the whole time a school with the kids.. let me explain myself before you think i've gone insane
Saturday was sports day, so I spent the whole day making sure the kids were in the right places, and running the score sheets into the staffroom. It was surprisingly exhausting even though I wasn't doing anything compared to the kids! At the end of the day I had to play tug-of-war with one hand.. (staff vs. year 8's so we thought we'd go easy on them... and we lost..) and then the winning house was announced (Cranmore! The yellow house) and the day was over!
But that night was the summer party for parents and staff, so I got all dolled up (I wore a skirt, anda pair of heels for the first time since christmas!) and got into a taxt, with a drivier who had no idea where he was going (apparently that's unacceptable here, but in Wellington it's normal to have to give your driver directions!!).
I had such an amazing night! The food we were served was incredible – such a nice change to have fancy food after months of boarding school food!. I spent the whole night chatting to parents of the kids, and the people I work with (who all are hilarious when they're a little bit tipsy) but don't tut at me, because even tho I kept being given drinks, I didn't get drunk, and I hardly felt tipsy! I spent a good couple of hours on the dance floor singing along to the band (one of the people I work with's band. They were really good too!) and by 12.30am we were the last ones there, singing into a mike that was turned off (thank god).. by the time I got into bed I was exhausted so I went straight to sleep!

Sunday was a really good day. Partly because when I went down for lunch (I slept past breakfast) I was the only one of those who'd gone out the night before that wasn't feeling like death and I had a really nice roast lunch while all the others could manage was a yorkshire pudding and some gravy..
That day the sunday activity was shopping in Bath, so I got a lift in and spent the afternoon shopping in a city that I love more and more with every visit. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I'm not sure what one yet (i'll decide when I check my bank balance) it was a very sucessful day of shopping and so I returned home happily carrying my purchases..




And so we're back to Monday!
Now just like last week I worked on my day off, but it was so worth it!
The year 4's went on a trip to CADBURY WORLD and so of course I was stoaked when they asked me to come. Even tho it was a nearly 6 hour round trip, it was a really good day (because I now know to ALWAYS bring headphones on trips, so in went the music and I slept most of the way!)
As you can imagine, a tour of a chocolate factory was heavenly. I spent a bit too much money in the gift shop, and learnt that they don't have chocolate fish, or pinkys or pebbles or cherry ripes or anything like that here!! One of the workers was most excited when he found out I was from New Zealand, and asked me if I'd tried the vegemite chocolate (thankfully I could say I hadn't).
As I spent most of the time there drooling over all the chocolate, and restraining myself from buying everything in the store, there isn't much else to say about Cadbury World!



Sadly I couldn't wear my heeleys in the factory, partly because of the sign and partly because it isn't 2006 anymore!!





I thought this was just too cute!
Just for Moira!
The guy who gave a talk had this hat that one of his workmates had given him. 
There is a heaven after all.....

And so we're back to, what is now Tuesday! I am sorry about the lateness of this post but it was out of my control, and it has also conserned me just how much I need wifi in my life! 4 hours without it and I don't know what to do with myself!
So on that stereotypically teenager sounding sentence, that's all from me!

So until next week then...


No comments: