Monday 1 June 2015

London to Lagos

You are all in for a treat this week!
So I've had the last week off work for half term (because apparently you cant have 10 straight weeks of school..)
So, as you do, I buggered off to Portugal for 4 days.

After a nightmare of a train journey on Saturday which meant I was stuck at Westbury station for nearly TWO HOURS, I spent the weekend in London cat-sitting the ever-so-lovely Betty with Adele, which consisted of a lot of junk food, a lot of tv (I can now say that i've seen Eurovision – with a performance from Australia and Guy Sebastian..)
We did do something mildly productive, because on Sunday morning we went for a walk aroung the cemetry, because we felt bad about the amount of junk food we had eaten the night before...


After that we hopped on a bus to Tower bridge and then spent the afternoon walking along the river. We stopped off for lunch at Pizza Hutt – which is a proper eat-in resturant here! And we were sat next to a Kiwi couple. I swear there are more Kiwis in London then there are in New Zealand! I can't get away from them!
After lunch we went back to Betty because it had started to rain (gotta love the english weather!)

Let's play another game of spot the tourist!


Sneaky advertising...
Monday was spent packing up our stuff, and we didn't really do a lot until the evening when we went to the airport, because we flew out of London at 6am Tuesday morning, which meant a 4am check-in time, and we all know I'm not a morning person. So we camped out at the airport overnight, which meant a very uncomfortable sleep..
Crap quality, but that is a fox. Gotta love the London wildlife!
As you can imagine, the plane journey was pretty boring (I spent most of it sleeping). And then we spent the rest of Tuesday making our way from Faro to Lagos, where we would be staying. This consisted of a taxi ride, a train and a bus. Now thankfully everyone in Portugal seemed to be English, or be able to speak English, so there wasn't any stressing over getting the wrong bus, or finding our accommodation (which was amazing, and everyone there was pretty much either an Aussie or a Kiwi...).

We spent most of our time in Lagos by the pool, or at the beach. We walked into the city every day and did some shopping (just for a change) and I couln't get over how cheap everything was! I didn't really know what I expected Portugal to be like, but whatever those expectations were, they were no where near as good as what it was really like. There was so uch character everywhere. The entire place was beautiful, and the people were all so lovely and colourful.
Rather than blab on about the things we did, I'm just going to dump a bunch of photos on here.
Enjoy!

Day One


The view from our room. Not too shabby I think!
LOOK AT THE SIZE OF IT! btw I'm not burnt, it was just really hot, and i have no muscle so lifting it was a struggle...

Greek style dinner on the first night. It was amazing and I ate it all (even the olives!)
Day Two
Just incase getting the bus is too mainstream for you..
 







I just couldn't help myself okay? 





Day Three

We did a kayak tour of the coast and it amazing! Even tho the water was super rough (but don't worry, we didn't drown! Sign us up for the olympic team I say!)





These stalls had the coolest stuff and it took all of my willpower not to buy it all..
The sunset on my last night there was breathtaking..

 Day Four/Last day


Soz for the bad photo but i had an aisle seat :( but the sunset was stunning! even if the two men sitting next to me didn't see it because they spent the whole time looking at their phones (and they say teenagers are addicted to technology!)

I left Portugal on Friday, and ohmygod what an effort it was to get back! My journey took nealy 13 hours, and consisted of a 30 minute walk to the train station in 28degrees, a train rise, a bus, two planes, another two trains and then a taxi. As you can imagine by the time I got back to Sarah & Martins I pretty much went straight to sleep!
This was the kind of motivation I needed on my 12am tube ride through London.. (it says: You are a glittery flamingo in a park full of pigeons)
Saturday was spent shopping with Nanny and Grandad (so I can safely state that the whole shopaholic thing is definitely genetic) and I was amazed at just how much a person can get out of an M&S store! I don't think there is a M&S that hasn't been visited by my grandparents!
On saturday night we had a lovely family dinner, and then I skyped the parents (for the first time in ages it seemed!) So there was a lot to catch up on – apparently whittakers have released a new range of chocolate... I'm not too sure how I feel about it, because I can't get any here to taste it!!

Unfortunatley on Sunday I had to head back to work, so I had to say goodbye to Nanny and Grandad, who fly back to NZ later this week :(
I think my journey back on Sunday was the easiest one yet! All my trains arrived on time, and there were no missed connections, or delays!
Once back at school I unpacked, did some washing, and within half an hour of being back it felt like I had never left... That was a depressing thought!
The houseparents on the girls landing got a new puppy. It is a literal ball of fluff and i want one..
And we're back at monday! As usual I have done nothing, and I don't intent to do anything once I've posted this, so there's not a lot to say!

So until next week then...

No comments: