Monday 29 June 2015

Grease performances and Packing Problems

I seriously need a holiday...
Even though this week has been a pretty normal one, there has just been a lot of those days where everything doesn't really go the way you'd hoped it would..

Firstly, the traffic has been shocking nearly every day because of the Glastonbury festival that was on just down the road (I could hear the music from my room which was incredibly unfair..)
And also as it's nearly the end of term none of the kids want to listen or do what they have to do because they have the whole “whats the point, what are you going to do about it?” which i'm sure you can image in a joy to deal with every day.
So where I left you last week was with me being angry at the wifi (which is still annoyingly slow and therefore has forced me to be a lot more patient – something i'm not used to as it isn't really a strong point of mine..)

I can't really tell you that this week has been very interesting, and I havent takes many photos at all, so I fear by the time you get to the end of this post you'll be bored, but I guess it is your decision to read it, so you only have yourselves to blame really..

Right so tuesday was spent, as you know, trying to get my blog post up, and then nothing else really happened, except in the afternoon when I was in the pool and I came out just as wet as the kids because the member of staff thought it would be hilarious to keep splashing me (I was told if a child is annoying you, you should just ignore it, but I didn't think i'd have to apply that strategy to the 25yearold I work with..)

Wednesday was a hectic day because there was a crash along the main road, so nearly half the school was late which meant that it took me nearly 40 minutes to do the registers when it normally takes me less than 10.
This time for your weekly forest school update, it's all about making elderflower cordial! Basically spending the time making sure the kids don't grate anything they might cry about, and making sure no keaves or dirt went into the buckets (trust me, it's harder then you'd think)

Its quite pretty, but don't worry, you strain it before you drink it! 
After that mission I had senior games, where just for a change I joined in and played rounders, which I am not horrific at thanks to all those hours my year 8 class spent playing softball and danish rounders (might I just say that on one ball I got like 3 and ½ rounders – a home run, 2 rounders for bad bowling and half for obstruction. Yes the game has a stupid points system)
That night for whole house night we piled into the mini busses and drove toKings Bruton to see the year 7 production of Grease. Now as you know i'm a sucker for musicals so it was my perfect night! The kids were all so talented and I was so proud of them because I knew how hard they'd worked on the show (the amount of times I helped them with their lines in the dorms showed just how badly they wanted it to be good)
That night was a long one because we didn't get back to school till 9.30 or so, so all the kids were late to bed and none of them wanted to sleep because they were all hyper.

The late night meant that I had to wake up early (shocking, I know!) on Thursday morning so they could all have showers, but thankfully thursdays are really quiet so I could catch up on sleep during the day (yes I did need to have a nap in the middle of the day. Don't judge me)
Thursday after dinner was spent on the tennis courts trying (and failing) to improve my non-existant tennis skills. By the end of half an hour I could hit the ball and it'd land in the court most of the time which was a serious improvement from before! That night instead of the usual games of football or cricket, we played what I think is our new favourite game (the one where you hit a tennis ball as high as you can and then try and catch it) I know it sounds simple but it's serious fun and a lot harder than you'd imagine (especially when you're not wearing you glasses so you can't actually see the ball until it gets close to the ground which then makes it very hard to catch)
Friday morning meant another half an hour in the Junior Common room with the kids that get dropped off to school early. This week they brought their new recorders along, and so I had three girls playing the same song over and over again for the entire time. Any time of the day that would be annoying, but at 8am it is unbearable and I had to stop myself from yelling at them to shut up. Why they insist on teaching kids the recorder I don't know. Personally I think the triangle would be a better instrument to learn..
Thankfully later that day my mood was made 100times better because my new camera arrived in the post! I decided to buy myself a polaroid camera because i've wanted one for ages, and I just thought why not? And as I couldn't think of a reason as to why I shouldn't buy one, I got one! I can't wait till the holidays to take some photos with it!
That night we did a McDonalds run and one of the staff's friend came with us. I found out that he was the personal trainer of Quicksilver (the avengers one, not the X-Men one) and so yeah i've basically met the avengers -its the closest i'll ever get to them so i'm going to take it!

Saturday meant packing, as school finishes this coming week, so they needed to make a start on their packing. This took hours and resulted in me nearly tearing my hair out because they weren’t actually doing anything even though they insisted they were. I don't think i've ever been more frustrated in my life, and it got to the point where I just left them and went and sat in the staffroom otherwise I would've ended up yelling at them. Because the weather had turned to rubbish, that night we had a solid hour and a half of dodgeball in the gym, and I realised how much I missed playing it!
Sunday was a really chilled day (thank god) and so when the duty staff came in and I was free for 6 hours I retreated into my room and watched netflix and tried to pack my suitcase for the summer, which was really hard because I have bought sooooo many things since i've been here, and I didn't really realise just how much until I couldn't fit it all into my suitcase... oops..

and so we're back to monday! This morning I skyped eight of my friends back home (all at the same time) and we had a good old catch up, because I hadn't talked to most of them since I left in December! And then I spent the rest of the day staring helplessly at my suitcase just hoping it would magically pack itself (sadly it didnt..) and so I fear that will be my job tonight.
Cute little group photo feat yours truly on the laptop. 

Again I am sorry for the boringness of this post, but with only one more week at work till september I'm sure they'll be a lot more interesting over the next two months!

So until next week then..

No comments: