Thursday 25 August 2016

All good things must come to an end..

The last day of topdeck, was, as you can probably imagine after five weeks together and a night of no sleep, full of emotions.

After we had packed up our soaked and muddy tents for the last time (ever, thankfully) we headed onto the bus and made the most of the dry and warmth and slept the whole way to Bruges, which I did accidentally pronounce Brug-ee in my head for the first few minutes there because it was written on all the postcards and signs as Brugge... I blame the lack of sleep on that one.

I don't have many photos of Belgium because I was tired, in my pyjamas and too busy eating all the waffles and chocolate I could get my hands on, but here are a couple I managed to take in the pauses between bites...





Bruges was picture perfect, and stunning in every way, from the architecture to the people to the food (of course!). But when we went back to the coach we had to say goodbye to a couple of the group who were staying in Europe which was so hard.. There were a few tears at that point and we all reluctantly got onto the coach and made our way to Calais.
Once we got to the ferry terminal we had to say goodbye to Matty and Scotty, our incredible Chef and Driver, which was possibly the hardest goodbye. They made the trip so incredible with their jokes about everything, their excitement over the littlest things (like finally finding the Karate Kid) and their unconditional love for their jobs.

We all got onto the ferry and while the others played cards or went to the bar I slept the whole way, until we got to Dover and got on another coach, with a driver that wasn't scotty that took us to London.
That bus ride was odd, as no one really knew what to say or do. We were all just appreciating the last few hours that we would all be together, and quietly chatting about our favourite parts of the trip.
When we arrived at our drop off in London it was raining and cold and our trip had finally come to an end. We all said our final goodbyes and headed off in our various directions. Mine was to the tube station in my pyjamas, with more bags than I could carry and exhausted, but all warm and fuzzy on the inside because I had just completed the trip of a lifetime.


I had no idea what would happen on my Topdeck trip. Before I booked it part of me wasn't sure if I could do one, I mean going on a five week trip with no one I knew and no idea what it would be like or if I'd even be able to complete. But one night I just took a deep breath and booked, and god am I glad I did. I couldn't have wished for a more incredible time or more incredible to share it with. Every day I knew there would be someone who wanted to go where I wanted to go, or eat something different, or visit an incredible piece of architecture, or simply wander around a new fantastic city and just take it all in. I had no idea I would eat like royalty the whole time because Matty could cook up a storm in a tent, while dancing up a storm at the same time. I am so lucky to have experienced so much on this trip and I have so many photos to look back on and memories to keep with me forever.

I cant believe how fast the five weeks went by, and once I had caught up on sleep and washed all my clothes I wanted to do it all over again! Because just for a change I want to revisit everywhere I went!
The last photo of La Familia!

No comments: